Little Rock, AR asked in Tax Law for Arkansas

Q: My brother had a irrevocable trust before his death in 4/18. He had already paid taxes on everyhing for 2017.

He lived in Missouri. Do I pay taxes on this in Arkansas?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Eric  Day
Eric Day
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Henderson, NV

A: If you are the beneficiary of the trust and the trust document calls for you to receive the income from the trust than you will likely have to pay taxes on any amount of income generated in other states to their taxing agency as well as to yours in Arkansas. However, a lot of the determination on who pays taxes on the trust income is determined by the actual trust document and what it indicates.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.