Berryville, AR asked in Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Arkansas

Q: Can my husband have his parent rights terminated after 7 years no contact or child support?

My husband has been served paperwork. His ex-girlfriend's husband wants to adopt his biological daughter. The paper work says that he was classified as abandonment because he has not spoken with his daughter or paid child support in over 7 years. He has tried to see his daughter many times previously and was denied. The mother would not allow him to see her and never pursued for child support. My husband very much wants to be in her life and pay child support for her and he always has wanted this. We have hired a lawyer and will be meeting with her in a couple of weeks since she is out on vacation right now. We will fight this adoption and he wants to have court ordered visitation and child support. I was hoping for a quicker response here since I won't meet my lawyer for a couple of weeks. Can his parental rights be terminated even though he wants to be in the child's life and pay child support but was denied this previously by the mother?

1 Lawyer Answer
James E Hensley Jr
James E Hensley Jr
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Conway, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: Get a real lawyer. You should not have to wait 3 weeks. Your husband will have some trouble but the mother will have some real trouble saying dad abandoned the child.

Jim Hensley

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.