Salt Lake City, UT asked in Bankruptcy and Consumer Law for Utah

Q: I was served I responded they never filled. I was served again. What are my rights?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Sundwall
Michael Sundwall

A: Sounds like you were served with a 10-day summons. The plaintiff can you use a 10-day summons to serve a lawsuit (summons & complaint) without having to pay the court filing fee. Once the papers are served, the plaintiff has 10 days to file a lawsuit. The summons should have stated on it that you are not required to respond or file an answer to the complaint unless the lawsuit is filed within 10 days after you were served. If it was not filed within 10 days, the plaintiff has the right to have you served again, then file within 10 days. Sorry, but you still must defend against the newly served papers. Your rights have not changed because the plaintiff failed to file the complaint within 10 days after service of the first 10-day summons.

Timothy Denison agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.