Nashville, TN asked in Foreclosure for Tennessee

Q: Does previous owner have rights to claim personal items abandoned 2 years ago when they moved out .

We purchased a home at a foreclosure sale. The electricity has been off 5 months. and the neighbors tell us the owner moved 2 years ago. They have our number and are calling requesting items in home do they have rights to items left 2 years ago?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Yes. The Statute of Limitations on Conversion is three years. They could also sue you in General Sessions for an Action To Recover Personal Property. But I doubt any Magistrate will issue an Arrest Warrant for Theft of Property. It is basically a civil matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.