Buffalo, NY asked in DUI / DWI for New York

Q: If I was charged with a DWI 6 years ago as a minor and it is sealed, do I still need to install an ignition interlock?

I have not had my license for 6 years now because of this. I am a college graduate and just got my first job under my degree in the medical field. My permit states that I need an ignition interlock in my car while driving for 6 months. How is this possible when my accident was 6 years ago. What can I do? Can I fight it? I need to get to and from my job and simply can't because I don't know how to go about the situation. My judge passed away not too long ago so I cannot speak to anyone about what to do other than a lawyer.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Charles Cimasi
Michael Charles Cimasi
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Amherst, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: It really depends what your licensure status has been for the past six years. In order to get any useful answer, you are going to need to speak with an attorney after he or she has reviewed your paperwork and licensure status. If an interlock period is required, no appeal will be meritorious. Speak to your attorney about this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.