Asked in Elder Law for Tennessee

Q: My mother is elderly and has become verbally abusive...she's also becoming violent. What are my rights as a tenant?

She has also called the police on me several times as a form of retaliation. I want to declare her incompetent, as she can no longer control her bodily functions. What can I do? I need help because I'm currently living with her and I'm nervous what she'll do next....

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard Robert Grefseng
Leonard Robert Grefseng
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Columbia, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: In Tennessee, maybe the first thing to do is try to get her to go to her doctor, and tell the doctor about her behavior asking him/her to provide an mental evaluation. Usually some form of medical examination is required in order have a conservator appointed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.