Denver, CO asked in Real Estate Law for Colorado

Q: I need to remove ex boyfriend from the title to my house

My father gave me the money to buy the house

Ex boyfriend pressured me into putting his name on the deed

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

James Alan Greer

  • Boulder, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Dear Girlfriend Needs Clear Title: Your options are to achieve ex-boyfriend's voluntary transfer, or else you'll be forced to file an action in District Court. If through voluntary means: present a recordable Quitclaim Deed for him to sign before a Notary and then record the Quitclaim and a Real Property Transfer Declaration at your local county recorder. You might have to employ an Attorney to present the appropriate legal demand and the Quitclaim, to said ex-boyfriend. JIM GREER is an attorney licensed to practice in CO and CA and has specialized in real estate transactions for the past 30 years; nothing herein shall be construed as the offering of legal advice insofar as Mr. Greer is not in an attorney-client capacity with the inquiring party.

Donald C Eby agrees with this answer

Donald C Eby

  • Castle Rock, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: If boyfriend refuses to sign a Quit Claim Deed as discussed by Mr. Greer, then you'll likely need to bring a quiet title action or a partition action in the District Court of your county depending upon the facts in dispute RE ownership.

Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.