Arlington Heights, IL asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Health Care Law, Legal Malpractice and Probate for Illinois

Q: What would be the right way to go about filing an appeal in a mental health case where I have not been served?

I have a dispute with my family, they gained access to money under my name and then had me mentally committed where now they are smearing my name in court proceedings to the point where a judge is providing a waiver of service for me to attend these proceedings. According to the multitude of laws I have read I have a right to a jury trial and a right to cross examine witnesses, this is not happening because of the filth they are saying about me. So how do I go about filing an appeal of that decision? In my eyes it seems as though I would have a number of legal avenues to pursue after it has been revealed that numerous filings have been false and that statements are being elicited from people that have received something in exchange for their statements. Basically I want to appeal that decision, file a motion to vacate on the mental health record, and then pursue a civil complaint for breach of fiduciary duty and fraud but I don't know what to file or where to file it.

1 Lawyer Answer
James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg
  • Legal Malpractice Lawyer
  • Rochelle, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: The stakes are for too high for you to act as your own lawyer in this case. I admire your spirit, but the time has come for you to hire a lawyer. Bring him or her the research you've done, but by all means hire a lawyer. Don't risk your freedom (financial and otherwise) by trying to do it yourself. Hire a lawyer. Do it immediately.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.