Heber Springs, AR asked in Child Custody, Domestic Violence and Family Law for Arkansas

Q: does an order of protection remain if child custody is changed

My mom got an order of protection against my step-dad for her and my little brothers. My grandma recently took them as their legal guardian. My step-dad brought over a tv for them with my grandmas convent but we are worried my mom will press charges. Is my grandma at any legal fault?

1 Lawyer Answer
James E Hensley Jr
James E Hensley Jr
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Conway, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: Probably won't get into trouble since grandma consented. Still, he could be in some real trouble if she changes her mind. The order tells him to stay away from certain people. It was the Judge who made the order. If step dad wants to see the kids or visit under any circumstances, he must obtain permission from the Judge and not just the grandma.

Often, people who are subject to an order of protection violate the order by doing something they believe is good. It is still a violation and shows the Judge that they will not follow the order. Hope this works out.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.