Brick, NJ asked in DUI / DWI and Gov & Administrative Law for New Jersey

Q: What are my options. I was overpaid General Assistance?

And when the agency I worked for did not notify Social Services in a timely fashion in July of 2012, I now owe another $140.Then I received General Assistance while I was on unemployment. I called and called to talk to someone but back in 2012 those lines were so busy I never got through. Am I to believe that Social Services didn't know I was collecting unemployment? So I now owe a total of $979.48. I can't afford to pay this. I am in debt over $11,000 in credit cards because I can't make ends meet. I have been back and forth to different doctors and specialists, not to mention plumbing bills of about $500. So what are my options here? Thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
Leon Matchin
Leon Matchin
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Milltown, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: I would consider bankruptcy.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.