Rolla, MO asked in Child Support for Missouri

Q: If 2 people have joint custody and 1 parent (pays support)gets higher paid job do they have to pay more in child support

Child support payer has 2 other children in current home with them

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jennifer L. Rench
Jennifer L. Rench
  • St. Louis, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: In Missouri, a court would determine the presumed amount of child support by entering information on a Form 14 worksheet. There is information missing from your question that would be needed in order to determine the amount of child support.

For example, in some situations the child support calculation allows the payer to take a credit to lower child support based on the number of overnights the payer exercises with the child. Joint custody doesn't describe the number of overnights one parent has. It could be 152 nights or 182 nights and those payers would receive different credits. This credit is also not allowed if the receiving parent makes under a certain amount of money. Another piece of missing information is more details about the other children living in the payer's home. Were they children born before the child subject to the child support case? After? Are they dependents of the payer? Is there a child support order in place for those other children? Yet another missing piece is the amount of health insurance paid and who pays it.

These are just a few questions that come to mind. An attorney would want to gather this and other information to answer your question. I hope this was helpful!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.