Asked in Adoption and Family Law for Missouri

Q: Can my fiance adopt my son?

My son's biological father isn't on the birth certificate and no paternity has been established. I haven't heard from him in over a year at which point he told me never to contact him again regarding our child. He's been in prison for the last 8 month's. Can my fiance adopt my son under these circumstances?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lydia Seifner
Lydia Seifner
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Springfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Step-parent adoptions usually require the parents to have been married for six months first. Otherwise, you meet the requirements for adoption. Get married first, and then after six months, contact an adoption attorney in your area to assist you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.