Sterling, IL asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Illinois

Q: My mom got her license suspended and fined for not having insurane but

In 2006 my mom's license got suspended and fined for not having insurance, but she had insurance just not on her at the time. They said she needed to come to the court house and prove she had it. For some reason she waited years to go because she moved towns over and had no drivers licenses so she couldn't.

But the judge said "even if you have proof the case is from 2006 so just pay your fines."

Is that fair even if she has proof that she had insurance? Can the judge do that? The fine is $700.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. J. Jesky
T. J. Jesky
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: There is an old saying, "Nothing is Life is Fair." You answered your own question, i.e. your mother waited too long. Once the judge ruled to pay the fine, your mother needs to pay the fine. If you try to vacate the judge's order, it will cost you more than $700 in legal fees, and you will most likely not prevail.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.