Salt Lake City, UT asked in Contracts for Utah

Q: Is it legal to have a deseased mothers name still on a Car title? My mother died in 2004..The car is licensed and insure

The registration is in my and my wifes name..But every year they send the renewal notice in her name..I live in SLC, Utah.. Is this legal?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Hello,

Although everything is working without having changed it, you should probably go to the DMV and fill out a small estate affidavit for motor vehicles to get her name off of the title. If you don't, your wife's siblings may have some claim on the car. The Personal Representative should have done this when you mother-in-law passed away.

I hope this helps.


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.