Macon, GA asked in Sexual Harassment for Georgia

Q: How long do I have to file a lawsuit after an EEOC complaint?

In 2015 I had a mediation with my then employer/boss for sexual harassment & retaliation. I was offered money in the mediation but didn’t take it because I wanted to file suit. How long do I have after such incident to file suit? The man I accused was recently fired for the same situation.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Joseph

A: You should contact an experienced employment attorney. A lot of time has passed since the mediation, and it may be too late to file a claim.

Ordinarily, if an EEOC mediation is unsuccessful, the EEOC will begin an investigation into your case.

• The EEOC will give you a “Notice of Right to Sue” letter if the investigation does not find that your employer

violated the law. This letter gives you permission to file a lawsuit in a court of law.

• If the investigation does find that your employer violated the law, the EEOC may try to settle with your employer.

• The EEOC’s legal team will determine whether the EEOC should file a lawsuit if a settlement cannot be reached.

If the EEOC decides not to file a lawsuit, it will issue you a “Notice of Right to Sue,” so you can bring your own


• An EEOC investigation can be a lengthy process. If more than 180 days have passed since you filed your charge,

you can ask the EEOC for a “Notice of Right to Sue.” The EEOC must provide the notice if they cannot finish the

investigation within 180 days. Once the EEOC gives you a “Notice of Right to Sue,” the EEOC will close your case

and take no further action.

• Under some circumstances, you can ask for a “Notice of Right to Sue” before the EEOC has finished investigating

your claim, even before the 180 days have passed.

Once you receive a “Notice of Right to Sue” under any of those scenarios, you must file your lawsuit within 90 days.

Disclaimer: The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. No viewers of this content should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included herein without seeking the appropriate legal advice on their particular facts and circumstances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.