Naples, FL asked in Car Accidents and Personal Injury for Florida

Q: What can I go after in a law suit if the person owns a home and nothing else?

I was in an auto accident where I received permanent injuries to my spine. The driver had a very small bodily injury coverage which I received the full amount in. I was informed by several people, as well as looking it up in the Florida state laws, that I can go after the driver/owner of the vehicle for pain and suffering due to my permanent injuries, but I’ve been told by my attorney that I have nothing to pursue because the owner only owns a home, and of course we can’t go after that because of the homestead act, she said there is no other assets I can sue for so I can not seek additional compensation, is this true? I figured if they owned a home they at least had a decent income that they could make payment with, had never heard of not being able to sue someone because they don’t own more than a single home, but just wanted to confirm this is true.

1 Lawyer Answer
Anna Katherine Stone
Anna Katherine Stone
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Tampa, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Upon receiving your settlement, you likely signed a release which means you can’t sue them for anything else. Also, you would have to go to court to a get judgment against them in order to potentially garnish their wages (not all income is garnishable). However, to go to court in a case like is probably not economically feasible as it would cost too much to get the judgment with a potential likelihood of not being able to actually collect.

Charles M. Baron agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.