Davenport, IA asked in Wrongful Death for Missouri

Q: Do we the family have a case against the city jail and their police officers?

In 2017 my family was informed that my sons father had been arrested and allegedly committed suicide while in police custody. He was put in a holding cell and the door was left open because. he was the only inmate in the jail that day. Police said he left the holding cell went into a dark area in the hallway where there was no video surveillance sat on the floor and hung him self with a bed sheet tied to a doorknob. There is no video of his alleged suicide, no mugshot, no arrest record, and no media coverage. The only information we have is what the police say happened. We also have not been given the autopsy report. We have no answers to a million questions. I have more information but im limited on space here.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: Hard to tell without knowing what an autopsy showed or would show. However your son and the immediate family of the son's father would be the people to seek any claim. Best bet is to call the Missouri Civil Liberties Union, ask for the names of any "cooperating attorneys " who work on prison cases.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.