Camden, NJ asked in DUI / DWI for New Jersey

Q: I was drinking at a friend's party and was too drunk to drive home so I got into my car (parked outside his house) and

fell asleep. A cop later tapped on my windshield, probably smelled alcohol on my breath, and arrested me for DUI. I wasn't driving though. Can they do this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leon Matchin
Leon Matchin
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Milltown, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You have a defense but it's difficult and depends on many other factors such as weather, time, engine on and hot etc... Even if not driving they can prove intent to operate based on the facts but generally this is a good defense so you should definitely hire an attorney in this field who knows what they're doing to defend you in this case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.