Littleton, CO asked in Child Support for Colorado

Q: My sons are 22 and 20. Do I need to file a motion to officially stop child support payments or can I just stop paying?

Both of my sons are in college and I am paying for at least 1/2 of their college expenses. I have also continued to send child support checks to my ex wife up to now. Can I just stop paying without having to worry about anything legally speaking, or do I need to file a motion to officially being able to stop paying? Our final divorce agreement stated I would pay until my sons reached the age of 19 years.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

John Hyland Barrett III

  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Unless your orders provide for college expenses, you can just stop paying. Child support ends at age 19 in Colorado.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.