White Cloud, MI asked in Tax Law for Michigan

Q: I have a parent that wants to pay my loans of in one lump sum. Is it possible to avoid Gift Tax on the excess over 15k?

I know the allowable amount for a gift is up to 15k, but after that what happens? is it taxed, by how much, and is it avoidable?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Eric Steven Day
Eric Steven Day
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Henderson, NV

A: You can avoid paying any tax, but you will be required to file a gift tax return, Form 709, along with your normal 1040 tax return you file annually. When you pay more than the 15K allotted for individuals to gift on an annual basis, you have to file the Form 709 to record the excess gift. However, over an individual's lifetime, they are also allotted $11.2 million of unified gift and estate tax exemptions (at least until 2025 when the amount will revert back to 2017 numbers or whatever Congress determines then). Essentially, if you pay someone $30K to pay off their loans, you will file a Form 709 at which time you will indicate that the additional $15K is going to be tapping into the $11.2 million you are afforded to gift at death without tax consequences.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.