Clarkesville, GA asked in Family Law and Adoption for Arkansas

Q: Can a judge make it to where you can't get your birth certificate?

I am moving out of a bad situation at home an moving to Arkansas tomorrow, and I was just gonna order me a new copy of my Birth Certificate but I decided to look for my birth certificate anyways, and my mother told me when I was looking for it that they lost all the previous copies and said that a judge made it to where I cant receive copies of my birth certificate when my adoption papers for my father went through. Is that true?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James E Hensley Jr
James E Hensley Jr
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Conway, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: Typically, there is a new BC issued once you are adopted. If you are looking for your original BC, try the Arkansas Department of Human Services in Little Rock. You may also have to reopen your adoption case. It is sometimes difficult to reopen a case.

To answer your question, it was not necessarily the Judge who restricted your access to the file and your BC; it is the law. These records are sealed for a variety of reasons - and one of those reasons are so you can't get the birth certificate and locate your biological parents. Sometimes biological parents do not want to be located. Still, you can at least try to reopen your adoption case and see what happens.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.