Saint Louis, MO asked in Criminal Law and Business Law for Missouri

Q: stolen business identity

I own a small business and advertise with a well know advertising company. My ex logged into my business profile without my knowledge and changed name, address and phone number to a (same type) business he recently started. He had all my info including reviews merged to his new business claiming he was owner of my business and just changing names. The advertising company was made aware of this and handled it very quickly moving everything back to me. They have confirmed in fact that it was him, and also confirmed I would have to have a subpoena to get the voice recorded call and IP address from where info was changed. What is the proper type of suit I should file on him.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Here’s the Missouri computer tampering statute.

There’s also a federal one. You may only have a subpoena issued if the lawsuit has been filed. Also, depending on the location of the business you which to depose, things can get very complicated and costly because a Missouri subpoena won’t issue for a business that is not subject to personal jurisdiction here. Call a lawyer next week if this is something you have the funds to pursue.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.