Ankeny, IA asked in Civil Litigation for Iowa

Q: Is there anything I can do about three Iowa city bar serving my 20-year-old son alcohol leaving ham rushed to the ER

The third bar my son was not able to even walk and I himself spilling several drinks on himself and the table when leaving the facility my son fell as a result of being rushed to the ER for two skull fractures and multiple brain bleeds he is not a legal age Let alone his intoxication level he should've never been served to begin with

Erik I’m confused does this mean not to file or do file against them? His future is changed now forever and the costs alone are a factor. Not looking to be a millionaire just right a wrong YOU DO NOT SERVE MINORS OR DRUNKS and not have a consequence. Please clarify sorry for bothering you again just not sure what that means

Thank you so much!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Erik Luthens
Erik Luthens
  • West Des Moines, IA
  • Licensed in Iowa

A: Unfortunately, the bars would likely sssert a complicity defense in the event that your son sued them on a dramshop theory for his injuries and would likely be successful.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.