Harrisburg, PA asked in Employment Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Employee handbooks

The company handbook allowed a person 50 vacation days to be paid to an employee upon separation from the company. Separation is not defined, so either resignation or termination would make the employee eligible to receive payment for those accrued days. The issue is that after the employee accrued 50 days, the employer changed the handbook and added a provision stating that involuntary termination or cause would not pay the employee the already accrued vacation time. The employee was fired soon after that and not paid the accrued time. It seems that the policy was changed just to avoid paying the employee about $10,000. Is this legal?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Peter N. Munsing

  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You have an argument that you had accrued a vested amount Consult an attorney who handles employment issues and is a member of the Pa. Assn for Justice. They give free consults.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.