Colorado Springs, CO asked in Probate for Colorado

Q: My estranged legal husband just died, he did leave a will but I don't know if he left me anything. Do I need a lawyer?

We never legally separated and we lived together for 9 years and he has been living with his partner for 11 years. I am his only legal wife. No underaged children. We have been married for 16 years.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Hyland Barrett III
John Hyland Barrett III
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: No matter what his will says, you are entitled to at least 1/2 of the estate as a surviving spouse. You should get a lawyer to make sure you get your fair share.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.