Wrightsville, PA asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Pennsylvania

Q: My x girlfriend is pregnant with my child. Can she offer our child up for adoption if I’m willing to raise our child?

She told me that she terminated the pregnancy and I have reason to believe she is still pregnant. She will not return any calls. I don’t want my child to be offered for adoption.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kathryn Hilbush
Kathryn Hilbush
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Media, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: The law requires the biological father's rights to be terminated, either voluntarily or involuntarily, before the child can be placed for adoption. Obviously then the question arises - what if she says she doesn't know who the father is? Good point. I'd try to keep eyes on her discreetly to see if she carries the baby to term or is no longer pregnant If she has the child then I suggest that you meet promptly with an experienced family law attorney to discuss filing for custody.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.