Aurora, CO asked in Domestic Violence for Minnesota

Q: Was awoken at 4am to spouse yelling, she called police, i was taken to jail for (false) domestic disturbance. What to d

Was asleep and she woke me up, she was mad, next thing i knew the police were there and i was taken to jail. We have a child together, and i love her children from a previous marriage like they're my own. She has been asking for a divorce for about a year and is now seeing another man, she has kicked me out of the house multiple times, and i give her that space then. I still want to work things out so I won't file for divorce.

I'm not sure how to prove allegations are false in domestic dispute. Ticket sited previous alcohol conviction, i wasn't drinking-i was asleep-had to work the next day. Wouldn't the citation of previous alcohol offense be invalid because a breathalizer wasn't done?

Have to use a public defender-worried they will assume guilt because of the stigma of men in domestic violence cases.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Matthew Holson
Jonathan Matthew Holson
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Rogers, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: I don't what relevance the prior alcohol conviction would have relative to the domestic assault allegation. Domestic Assault allegations are notoriously hard to prove especially if there aren't signs of physical injury. Especially given that she had motive to make up the allegations. Work with your public defender if you cannot afford private counsel. There are some very good public defenders out there.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.