Bossier City, LA asked in Social Security for Louisiana

Q: my husband just passed away yesterday, can I file for his SS?

we were not living together, we married in 2018 an he never got a divorce and I could not afford it. one of his lady friends contacted me to let me know. I have copy of marriage license but not his SS number she was telling me I could file for his SS, my question is I don't want to seem cold but the way he treated me with all the 6 women well I need to know how to go about I legally responsible for anything, can his kids sell everything without me, I really don't want anything he has but I do want to file for the SS can you advise?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Douglas Lee Bryan
Douglas Lee Bryan
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Marksville, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You should be able to receive survivor's benefits, assuming he paid enough into Social Security for you to be eligible. You will need his social security number.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.