Asked in Contracts for Utah

Q: we had lumber liquidators intall a floor for us in Utah the job is so bad we can't move into the home we want it replace

they damaged a vintage floor and now were not getting customer service to respond what can we do to get the floor we paid for

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: I am sorry for your frustration.

The first place would be to look at the service agreement or contract with Lumber Liquidators. If that doesn't have much, poke around on their website or call their customer service and instead of asking for them to fix it, ask for a copy of their installation policy.

Once you get them, read through them and look for some type of minimum service guarantee or something like that. It may also be in the "contract dispute" section as well.

If you can't find any documents like that, then it will come down to a reasonable person standard. If the installation of the floor is so bad that a reasonable person would think that it was defective then you probably have a case. You will be able to pay someone to fix it and sue the company for those charges, or if it can't be fixed you can have it replaced and charge that to the company.

Those are the general remedies for breach of contracts but remember first to look at the agreement you signed as that will govern and speak to things like attorney's fees, costs, alternative dispute resolution, etc.

I hope this helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.