Casper, WY asked in Personal Injury for South Dakota

Q: What type of attorney handles disability discrimination/defamation/possible harassment suit against a university

My son attended and played football for a SD University until recently. In March of 2018 he began having problems with his disability, and in turn, issues with the head football coach. I contacted his coach during this time to inform him of the disability. Soon after our conversation the head coach set a stringent set of rules on my son no other player was tasked with. Things got worse with the coach; soon he was released from the team. The university athletic policy was not followed while releasing him, (interesting to note: university recently changed this section in athletic handbook). My son was upset. He informed his coach he was going to contact the university's Disability Services(DS). This conversation led to the coach contacting the police. Welfare check was done; officer felt not a danger to himself or others. For unknown reason, in less than an hour, another officer did involuntary committal. Next, meeting with Title IX, this led to trespass from university.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: You would look for a disability rights attorney; check the South Dakota Assn for Justice--they can tell you who in your general area handles those cases, and their members give free consults.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.