Grand Island, NE asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Nebraska

Q: Do I need a lawyer?

I'm 18, graduated this year and live in Nebraksa. I have a friend who is 15. He called me last week and asked if I could pick him up from school because he was being sent home for the day and couldn't get a hold of his mom. So I did. After I picked him up he asked if he could come to my apartment and hang out until I went to work. So we went back to my place. Then about 30 minutes later the police came. I then found out he wasn't supposed to leave school and because I picked him up I got a citation for contributing to the deliquency of a minor. I had no idea he wasn't supposed to leave school which is my fault I shouldn't have just trusted him. Now i have court and I'm so scared of what's going to happen. I've never been in any trouble before. I just moved out on my own for college and don't need all this. Do I need a lawyer? What happens now? I'm terrified!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: This is something that a criminal defense attorney or public defender normally handles. The more proof you have to show that you believed he was being discharged from school, the easier it will be to defend this case. For example, did he send you a text saying is being sent home from school? Does he have a history of skipping school that you weren't aware of, etc?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.