Lewistown, PA asked in Family Law and Child Support for Pennsylvania

Q: My 18 year old son is still in high school but has moved into his girlfriends mom's place. Can they legally get child


Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Cary B. Hall

  • Norristown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Child support ends when a child turns 18 *or* when they graduate from high school, whichever is later. However, just because your son is living somewhere else, that doesn't mean that his girlfriend's mother has "custody" of him in any legal sense. That would require a court order, court proceedings, etc. So, to that extent, I would say no -- there would be no child support owed to her for housing your son.

Best of luck to you.

Dawn Padanyi

  • Doylestown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Contact a local lawyer in your jurisdiction to determine if you are legally vulnerable to the entry of a child support order against you for the support of your son. There are more details needed and it would behoove you to discuss those privately rather than on a public forum. 23 PA CS § 5324 addresses standing for any form of physical custody or legal custody in Pennsylvania.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.