Brooklyn, NY asked in Family Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Filing Motion to Request to Take Children Out of Country

A judge in PA issued a temporary custody order which included that neither my ex nor I could take the children out of the country without written mutual consent of both parents or an order of the Court. My ex refuses to even discuss the idea with me and I am trying to ask the Court to intervene. I submitted a motion pro se to ask the Court to hear this but it was returned. On the document someone wrote that what I submitted was "good work" but that it is "not a petition/motion" and that I needed to look up the proper format. I have searched online for the proper format for such a motion but cannot seem to find it anywhere. What do I do?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Kathryn Hilbush

  • Media, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Try the county law library. You can't learn to practice law by googling. Or, here's a novel idea, retain an experienced family law attorney to prepare the motion for you.

Dawn Padanyi

  • Doylestown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Contact a local lawyer that practices in your jurisdiction to assist you in getting the matter before the Court. There are many procedural rules that must be followed to make sure that Court systems runs smoothly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.