Murfreesboro, TN asked in Elder Law for Tennessee

Q: My sister has power of attorney over my disabled father. I have POA of our mother.

Do I have a legal right to demand a copy of all the bills, assets, etc. of our parents to ensure they are being managed correctly? My sister has been handling their bills and accounts and my mother is confused and doesn't understand what she is doing and my sister is not being transparent about anything. Including the password and account information (my mother wants me to keep an eye on things and explain things to her, but she is intimidated by my sister)

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard Robert Grefseng
Leonard Robert Grefseng
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Columbia, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: If your mother is still mentally competent, she should file court papers to be named conservator of your father- she as the spouse has the right to serve as his conservator even though he has signed a POA. Getting the courts involved may be the only way to get your sister to act openly.

Consult an experienced local family law attorney asap.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.