Canton, MI asked in Criminal Law for Michigan

Q: What is the best way or how should I defend myself. How can they charge me with theft when I had No intention of it.

My friend drives semi and I don't see him but couple times in a month. Wallet had No I.d cash or cards. In it was CPR and ems certs and his daughters SSN. I put wallet in my vehicle and finished building the dog kennel he wanted. A few weeks went by. I was pulled over for no license plate light and officer asked to search vehicle. Apon search Officer found wallet in door that I had almost completely forgot about but had every intention of giving him once I saw him. I was arrested for theft/ receiving stolen property. I've known this friend and his wife for 10yrs. I was told where spare house key was if I needed in house. Trusted to work on their vehicles and take care of their pets. What is the best way or how should I defend myself in court

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Daniel Hilf
Daniel Hilf
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Troy, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Defending yourself in court is not the right option. Hiring a lawyer to properly defend you is your best course of action.

With any theft allegation the prosecution must prove intent. Any reasonable doubt concerning intent means the verdict should be not guilty.

Your lawyer will be able to get all the discovery materials (police report(s), video(s), photograph(s), witness statements(s) etc.) in order to figure out why the prosecution made this accusation. You will be able to review the discovery and advise your lawyer as to the accuracy or inaccuracy of what you review. After reviewing the prosecutor's case, you and your lawyer will be able to build a defense. You and your lawyer can consider potential witness(es) and evidence that support your version of events.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.