Englewood, CO asked in Estate Planning and Elder Law for Colorado

Q: Do estranged family members have to be notified when my father passes away? He demands they know nothing about his death

I was recently made head of my dads will, estate power or attorney etc. His wishes are that his estranged daughters (been absent from his life since 2010). Not be notified of his passing and his will specifically states they are to get nothing. No major assets, Money or property. Just personal items.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Winblad
Richard Winblad
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Edmond, OK

A: If a probate is filed your state will likely require that they be notified as an heir even if the Will disinherited them. Check with a Colorado attorney.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.