West Plains, MO asked in Patents (Intellectual Property) for Missouri

Q: Am I infringing on a patent?

I sell puck holders and someone has alerted me they have a patent. Their design is different from the one I sell. Plus, I don't physically make the holders, I purchase them from a different company and add paint/glitter to it.

The patent holder sent a DMCA takedown notice to my web host, but have not sent me a cease and desist. Can they sue me for selling these? Since I purchase the item in question, I only make money off of what I add to it.

2 Lawyer Answers
Kevin E. Flynn
Kevin E. Flynn
  • Patents Lawyer
  • Pittsboro, NC

A: I do not know whether the puck that you modify and resell infringes their patent. I do not know whether their patent is valid or expired.

However, to answer one of your questions -- Under 35 USC Section 271 (a)

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this title, whoever without authority makes, uses, offers to sell, or sells any patented invention, within the United States or imports into the United States any patented invention during the term of the patent therefor, infringes the patent.

Thus, it is no defense that you were not the original manufacturer.

I hope this helps.

Kevin E Flynn

Darrin A. Auito agrees with this answer

Darrin A. Auito
Darrin A. Auito

A: I recommend contacting a patent attorney with litigation experience.

FYI - Sect. 271. Infringement of patent … "whoever without authority makes, uses OR SELLS any patented invention, within the United States during the term of the patent therefor, infringes the patent."

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.