Stroudsburg, PA asked in Family Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Can my unborn child’s father and I have a notarized letter relinquishing his parental rights

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Kathryn Hilbush

  • Media, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: The father cannot voluntarily relinquish his parental rights unless it is being done in conjunction with an adoption, Further, no one can do that for a child who isn't yet born.

Dawn Padanyi

  • Doylestown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: A child needs to be born before there can be a relinquishment of any rights. This is a complex area of law and you should consult with a lawyer for detailed advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.