Smithfield, UT asked in Tax Law for Colorado

Q: Colorado is claiming that I own them back taxes for a year that I didn't live there or earn any income there.

On September 15th 2014 I moved out of Colorado to Utah and have resided there ever sense. 2014 tax year I simited a partial year tax return to both the state of Colorado and Utah. Now Colorado is claiming that I own them back taxes for the tax your 2015 of just over $4,000. All of my income for that year was earned in the state of Utah. My question is how should i proceed with the state on this matter?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Englewood, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Colorado is incredibly aggressive regarding residency for income tax purposes. You're going to have to provide evidence that you were not physically in Colorado and that you had changed your residency to Utah. Here's a CO Dept. of Revenue ("CDOR") FYI publication explaining resident/non-resident status.

I would start with sending in the applicable documents to establish residency in Utah. If CDOR rejects those I would suggest hiring a professional to challenge the tax assessed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.