Phoenix, AZ asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Oregon

Q: I am divorced from my wife after succumbing to addiction for the first 5 years of my sons life. Now 2 years sober.

While I was out of state completely neglecting my responsibilities as a father she filed for divorce and sole custody. The order says I need 1 year of sobriety and to start paying child support. I have hair follicles for 2 years but I can’t afford the max amount I was charged with for child support. Can I go to court and ask for an amendment and visitation rights to my son? Mind you she allowed visitation a year ago until I moved my fiancé and her kids to Oregon with me and then she severed all contact. I know I have a terrible past but I’m a good man and a good dad. I just don’t know how to even start this fight.

1 Lawyer Answer
Jessica Larsen
Jessica Larsen
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hillsboro, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: You would need to file a Motion to Modify Child Support and Parenting Time. The court staff typically has self-serve packets that you can fill out and submit, or you can hire an attorney to start the process for you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.