Asked in Criminal Law for Georgia

Q: Am I facing any jail time being a 1st offender with the following charges:Possession of Firearm and Aggravated Assault?

I am 30 years old with no previous criminal record, I have served as an armed security guard for 3years. Recently road rage got the best of me and I was indicted with 2 felony charges and aggressive driving. Will I have to serve any jail time? And can I trust a Public Defender with this case or should I hire a lawyer ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cory Yager
Cory Yager
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sandy Springs, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If you lose a felony aggravated assault case, you likely would have to serve state prison time. Insofar as whether you can trust a public defender, the quick answer may be, "What is your other option?" Self-representation is a very bad option.

If you have family or friends that can help you with legal fees, and you later pay them back, consider meeting with a private criminal defense attorney for a FREE consultation.

With your clean record the best option would be to work toward pushing the prosecutor toward a lesser offense first, then negotiating the punishment phase, possibly under a first offender act disposition.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.