North Vernon, IN asked in Uncategorized for Indiana

Q: In Indiana if a family member stays and is told to leave and they won’t they are not paying rent how do I get them out

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: The first step is to have a serious talk with the family member, i.e., either pay rent or move out. If that fails,

the next step is to give them an ultimatum. Give them a specific deadline and state that they have to be completely moved out by then. You can offer to assist them in finding a new residence. Ask you other family members for their support in speaking with these unwanted relatives. Perhaps there are some other family members that will take them in. Be clear in communicating with them that if they do not move out by that date, they will be evicted.

One you have tried everything, initiate a legal eviction. You may need to hire to a local attorney to help with you the eviction process. The legal eviction notice will give them a certain date that they are require him to move out.

Alexander Florian Steciuch agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.