Reidsville, NC asked in Landlord - Tenant for Virginia

Q: my sister rents a small home in Virginia. The ceilings in 2 rooms have collapsed with black mold and asbestos

the ll has collected insurance but has not fixed the rooms, clothes and all bedroom items still in there can't get in the room, what can they do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jay Braddock Jackson
Jay Braddock Jackson
  • Fredericksburg, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: If your sister has renter's insurance, she should call them to make them aware of the issue and file a claim for the property ruined in the collapse. Delaying a call to them may adversely affect her ability to make a claim. If the collapse was due to the negligence of the landlord, she may have a claim of negligence, but without more information, its impossible to know. Black mold and asbestos are both severe health risks it would be prudent for your sister to take immediate action to protect her health and that of her family. That may even mean moving out. Her lease will have language on how to proceed if the house is unlivable and if there is genuinely asbestos, then she may have good reason to terminate her lease. As for the asbestos and black mold “injuries,” she really does not have a cause of action unless these issues have already caused health problems. If they have, she should seek appropriate medical treatment and speak with a personal injury attorney near her.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.