Coralville, IA asked in Medical Malpractice for Iowa

Q: My mother passed from a blood clot after a epidermal injection but was never told she had blood clots forming can we sue

She was having leg problems and shortness of breathe prior to surgery but the her primary doctor never followed up nor was my mother told she had potential blood clots forming can we sue the hospital for wrongful death

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Erik Luthens
Erik Luthens
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • West Des Moines, IA
  • Licensed in Iowa

A: In any medical malpractice claim, the primary issues are:

(1) Did a physician, nurse or other health care provider ("HCP") have a duty to provide some type of medical treatment to a patient?

(2) If the HCP did have such a duty, did the HCP breach the standard of care owed to a patient? In other words, did the HCP make an avoidable mistake (also known as "negligence")?

(3) If the HCP did have a duty and there was a breach in the standard of care, did the HCP's mistake cause an injury to the patient?

(4) If the HCP did have a duty and there was a breach in the standard of care and the HCP's mistake caused an injury to the patient, what is the extent of the injury?

Not every adverse or bad result with regard to medical treatment necessarily constitutes malpractice. I suggest that you immediately contact an Iowa attorney who specializes in medical malpractice claims to discuss your mother's situation.

Erik A. Luthens

Luthens Law Offices, P.C.

1200 Valley West Dr., Ste. 304-01

West Des Moines, IA 50266

Tel: (515) 222-1697

Fax: (515) 222-2655



Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.