Asked in Civil Rights and Criminal Law for Tennessee

Q: My dad gave a false report, police came with a search warrant for a person who was in our home without his knowledge

He didn't know this person was here, (she has a warrant for theft of property) and so he told the police that she wasn't, and where he thought she might be. This was early in the morning and the house was quiet as usual, she was asleep in a room he doesn't generally enter, with the door locked and so when the police entered with a search warrant and found her, they arrested him as well. Her secured bond was 1000, his is 2500, she was released the same day and my father is still sitting in jail, is there anything I can do to help him? Myself, another person, and my father are all used to this person not being here most of the time and it could have happened to any of us! My children miss their grandfather. We were unaware of her warrant until 2 days prior when I called to confirm.

They had a search warrant and we are in Robertson county tn the vehicle I gave a description of was in the driveway, but it belongs to someone in our home, he could have thought it was them, not her.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Marcus Lipham
Marcus Lipham
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jackson, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: What county are you in? Did your father give them permission to search the house? Sorry, but like a lot of similar situations, they require a lot of details in order to give a fair answer. The crime of “False Reports” in general is a specific intent crime, being that your father had to know he was providing false information. That can be more difficult to prove than it sounds. Personally, I would for a stronger angle of defending the case and use your father’s intent or lack there of as a supplement to the main defense in a case like this.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.