Freeport, IL asked in Juvenile Law for Illinois

Q: can i sue a child to go to school

i am a legal guardian of a 15 year old grand daughter who refuses to go to school can i take legal action and get a court order that she attend school so i am not the one fined by the state for her not attending school ? she use the system against me saying there is nothing i can do to force her to go if i touch her she will have me arrested for abuse .

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William Wolf
William Wolf
  • Juvenile Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: I would consult with an attorney with experience in Juvenile Court regarding what are called no fault dependency petitions and minors requiring authoritative intervention petitions. If it's that bad that you want to have the court system involved, then this may be the way to go to show that you're trying.

The problem in involving the courts is that they may make decisions about custody on a temporary or permanent basis that you may not like. Once the ball gets rolling, you can't stop the ball. This is why I'd go see a lawyer who specializes in juvenile matters first.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.