Minneapolis, MN asked in Bankruptcy and Foreclosure for Minnesota

Q: Can I ask the trustee to include redemption amount for my house in chapt 13 bky so I can sell it because of equity in

My house was sold at a sheriff sale and the redemption period was almost up when I filed chapter 13 bankruptcy which gave me 60 additional days for redemption. I had several buyers but one signed a purchase agreement and was preapproved with a VA loan, however the VA or company selling the house for the va (VRM) took 21 days to get the payoff numbers to us so the closing would then take place outside of the redemption period. I asked the lawyers for the Bank and VA if they would allow an extension for a few weeks considering they held up the updated payoff figures for so long. The Bank said they would allow it if the VA allowed it, I reached out to the VA and they said the people to ask would be the VRM company who is handling it now and someone at the VA said VRM said no because the bankruptcy had already extended it 60 days.Now I have found case law and info about people filing a motion to include the redemption amount in the repayment plan of a chapter 13 bankruptcy.is that possibl

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: Yes. But you should consult your own attorney before you do anything.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.