Romeoville, IL asked in Elder Law for Illinois

Q: I am looking to find out, as my sister's POA, on how to handle a settlement from a class action suit.

My sister, who is in an assisted living facility and on medicaid, will be getting part of a settlement of a class action suit from the village she lived in before moving to the living facility. Our mom lived with her and got sick drinking the water in their condo and filed with the class action suit on her behalf. Our mom since died so my sister and I will be getting the money. It is suppose to be $16000.00 a piece but Medicare is holding us up because they think our mom died from this situation and wants to get claims reimbursed but the class action lawyers are working on the proof of it not being the case. If we do not win, we should see about $5000.00 a piece. What has to be done when she receives either of these amounts according to Illinois Medicaid guidelines?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephanie Sexauer
Stephanie Sexauer
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: I'm sorry to hear about this situation. An easy solution might be to spend the money in the months its received an a Medicaid-eligible purchase, such as a prepaid funeral/burial. In this case, as in all cases, you should connect directly with an elder law attorney and discuss the specifics further. Please note, this is not legal advice and we have not established an attorney/client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.