Maryville, MO asked in Collections and Small Claims for Missouri

Q: Need help on how to collect on my small claims judgment.

A month ago I had taken my ex roommate to court. I won my case in small claim court. I have tried to contact the defendant to arrange payments, but he refuses to pay/contact me back. I have been told that I can set up garnishments for where ever he might work. The problem is I can not find out where he works. He has deleted all his online accounts like facebook so he can not be traced. I have no idea on how to track where he is working at. The only way I can think of is to follow him around, if I can find him, and hope he would lead me to where he works. The problem with this would be stalking. I have tried to look up any other options that I might have, but have been unsuccessful. I was also told that if I could find out where he banks at I could try to garnish his account(s), but again I have no idea where that would be. Any help I can get would be welcomed. Thank you for your time.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Welcome to the world of collections. Getting the judgment is often the easy part. It’s tough to find employment and banking information. The good news is that your judgment is good for 10 years before it will need to be revived and it will accumulate interest. You could try to find a collection attorney to work on a contingency basis.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.