Muncy, PA asked in Collections for Pennsylvania

Q: A company has gone out of business, and a shipping company turned an outstanding fee over to a collection agency.

I purchased auto parts from a company approximately 2 years ago, and the company has since gone out of business. The parts I ordered were shipped to me via UPS Freight, and, apparently, the company did not pay the charges due on that shipment. UPS Freight has turned the outstanding bill over to a collection agency, who states that I'm responsible for the outstanding balance since my name is listed on the bill of lading as the recipient of the shipment.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Norristown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: I suppose it depends on what the delivery terms were, right? Unless UPS Freight has some sort of documentation that says *you* are responsible for the shipping costs, then they can't very well assert a valid claim. Tell them that.

Best of luck to you.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.